This week for our 10 questions with Field Trip talent is the wonderful Gemma O'Brien. No doubt you already know of her type based work, so let's try and get to know her a little better.
1. State your name, location, medium, and the last meal you ate.
Gemma, Redfern, Typography + Illustration, bag of Werthers Originals.
2. What are you working on at the moment?
A type illustration for my mates in the Sangria Party at Dominant Music.
3. Describe the last person you saw do a live talk that really inspired you.
Ken Taylor did the Perth leg of Semi-Permanent with us and he was great. I love his work so it was inspiring to see the legend himself talking through his work and career.
4. Name a tool of the trade which you use, digital or otherwise, that is absolutely essential to your workflow.
Pencil, Pen, Scanner + Tracing Paper.
5. What are the top three tracks in your 25 most played iTunes playlist?
Ha! Great question. Bon Iver, Skinny Love in a solid number one position. Used many-a-time in lieu of counting sheep to help me sleep! Then Talking Heads - Naive Melody and Metronomy - Heartbreaker.
6. If you could boil down the most important lesson you've learned as a professional creative to three words, what would they be?
Don't Be Scared!
7. What is your favourite website for comic relief?
8. Can you tell us a bit about your plans for your Field Trip performance?
Well some of my favourite letters of the alphabet will make an appearance, there will be some pencil-on-paper action and maybe even some bezier curves too. Can't reveal too much just yet... but stay tuned!
9. What do you hope the Audience will take away from your presentation?
Hopefully a bit of insight into a condensed form of my working process... knowing that the things we create go through stages and don't appear out of thin air!
10. Who is your daddy and what does he do?
His name is Daryl (Dazza!) O'Brien, he builds beautiful houses and carries dark chocolate and almonds with him everywhere he goes!
Thanks Gemma! Anyone who has seen Gemma present before will know what a pure bundle of energy she is, we can't wait to see how that transpires into a working state, will be a bunch of fun. To see Gemma perform live on stage, head on over to our shop to grab a ticket. You can also head over to the Field Trip website for more information. Big thanks to Become for this weeks round of questions.